I was wondering how soon after contracting Genital Herpes should someone show symptoms? Are those symptoms itchiness, or really just bumps?

Hi, James,

The incubation period is pretty variable, 2-14 days and a primary infection can range from no symptoms at all, to blisters on the genital area, to an almost flu-like illness w fever, chills and aches and pains.  If you have never had herpes before, if you develop these symptoms, it would be reasonable to see your doctor and find out what is available to help you initially and perhaps in the future.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.