Pediatrics/recurring

Question
Sir, we have recently shifted to pune IN MAY .SINCE THAT TIME MY 22 MONTHS OLD SON IS GETTING RECURRENT COLD AND COUGH AND SUMTIME S FOLLOWED BY FEVR.WHATSHD B DONE TO AVOID THESE  FREWquent attacks.plz suggest and help

Answer
Hi Vikas,

Every child in 2-6 years of age group suffers from frequent cough/ cold. These children, especially in lower side of this age group can have 6-8 episodes of cough/ cold every year. This is NORMAL. The frequency of these episodes is even more during change of season and when the toddler starts going to day-care (creche)/ play school/ school, since there are a number of children (all in this vulnerable age-group) in a room that facilitates spread of infection. These episodes appear similar, but in fact there are more than 200 viruses that can cause similar symptoms. Hence, technically these infections are not "same" but by different viruses. Recovery can be fast with some viruses, while prolonged course (occasionally even upto 3 months) with others. The frequency of these episodes decreases somewhat at ~ 5-6 years of age (when the child has unfortunately already suffered from most of these viruses.

Medicines are not always needed, especially in milder cases. In more severe episodes, medicines are given to provide relief from symptoms but do not shorten the course of illness. Parents must know that most of these episodes of cough/ cold are viral infections and antibiotics have NO ROLE in viral infections. Antibiotics are prescribed only when bacterial infection is suspected.

Plenty of fruits and vegetables in diet and usual hygienic measures (frequent hand washing, covering mouth and nose while coughing/ sneezing) help in preventing these infections TO SOME EXTENT.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.kumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar