Pediatrics/Step in spit

How dangerous is it to have stepped in someone else's spit?

Hi, Jessica,

I assume you mean bare foot stepping in spit.  The risk of transmission of anything is extremely small in this way.  The skin of the foot is thick and fairly impermeable to bacteria or viruses.  If you had fresh spit, a bloody foot, then I guess something could happen, but even in that unlikely scenario, the chances are small.  Think of all the barefoot people in this world and the lack of illness by this route.

Good luck, D.r Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.