Pediatrics/Vaccination - 10-week old infant

Question

My son is two months old. He had his sixth week vaccination for DTwP, Hib, Hepatitis B, OPV and IPV. He was administered Pentavac for DTwP, Hib and Hepatitis and Imovax for IPV -  two separate injections.
For his tenth week vaccination, is it safe to switch to DTap vaccine as I understand is less painful and has lesser side effects like swelling and fever. He had swelling for almost a week post the 6th-week vaccination. Also, by switching to DTap there would be only one injection as Pentaxim contains IPV also. Is this switching safe?

Answer
Hi Bharati,

Yes, it can be safely switched.

There are two more points you should note:

1. As per the latest immunization schedule as recommended by Indian Academy of Pediatrics (last updated in July 2012), at 6, 10 and 14 weeks IPV only should be used, followed by IPV booster at 16-18 months. OPV should be given at birth, 6 months, 9 months and 5 years of age. In addition, OPV should also be given at all rounds of Pulse polio. (Prior to July 2012, OPV and IPV BOTH used to be given at 6, 10 and 14 weeks]

2. Your child has not been given Rotavirus and PCV vaccines at 6 weeks: these are also recommended.

You can see the latest immunization schedule at:
http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar