Pediatrics/Excessive Dependence on Breast Milk

Question
Dear Dr,

My infant is 7 months old. He is so dependent on breast milk that he needs to drink it fall asleep. also, when he is crying excessively, he will be immediately calm after having breast milk for a few seconds. At night, he refuses to drink formula milk and sleeps only after drinking mothers milk. We tried to reduce his dependence on mothers milk but we have been very unsuccessful. Everyone is saying that this is not a worrying sign..So, is there anything that we should be worried about and is there any remedy for this situation. We look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Vimal

Answer
Hi Vimal,

Your baby is very intelligent. He knows what is best for him. "Breast milk is best for your baby": Every pack of formula you buy declares so clearly. Why don't you try to give BEST and only BEST to your baby? Why do you want to replace BEST with something that is not so good?

Please continue with breastfeeding only (and NO Formula)

I hope you have started complementary feeding in addition to milk. Here again, home-cooked food is better than commercial formulae.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar