Pediatrics/Infant's hip popping

Question
Hello I have a 3 1/2 month old daughter and as of 10-9-13 I noticed when I held her and she moved that she popped. I couldn't really tell where it was coming from but it was in her hip/lower back/tail bone area. Well I research online and a lot of things said hip dysplasia. So we were seen by her doctor and he tested her hips and said that he noticed a little clicking in her left hip so we were sent to a children hospital to have an ultra sound done on her hips. Well the results came back normal, which is a relief but I am still a little concerned because she is still popping. I asked her doctor what else it could be and he informed me that it's normal. She doesn't show any signs of pain, no redness or swelling. I am just wondering what else it could be? Is this really "normal"? Could it be her back? And will this effect her mobility when she gets older? We don't go back to doctor until later this month.

Answer
Hi, Heather,

Lots of kids at this age have joints that when moved in a certain way make popping noises and sounds.  They are not abnormal joints.  The ultrasound and a good exam by a pediatrician is a good way to rule out developmental hip dysplasia.  This sounds to me like a normal finding and something that will not hurt her now or later.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD