Pediatrics/IPV vaccine

Question
Dear Dr. Puneet,
Greetings.

Our baby is 3.5 months old. We had given her OPV+BCG at birth, Pentaxim+HepB+Rotavirus+Synflorix at 6 weeks, Easy Five+OPV at 10 weeks and Pentaxim at 14 weeks. We heard that an additional dose (third dose) of IPV is required after a month.

However, I had read in one of your previous answers that if the baby is 3 months old then, 2 doses of IPV (as part of Pentaxim) are sufficient. We had given her Pentaxim at 6 weeks and 14 weeks. We would like to know from you if we really need an additional dose (third dose) of IPV? How much would IPV cost?

Thank you,
Dharma.

Answer
Hi Dharma,

Your baby would require an additional dose of IPV, costing about Rs. 400 (plus the doctor's fee).

2 doses of IPV are sufficient ONLY IF 2 conditions are met: First, 1st dose is delayed and is given after 2 months of age (something that is not ideal in Indian epidemiologic conditions, where we need early protection especially from polio and pertussis) and secondly 2 months interval is kept between 1st and 2nd dose.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar