Pediatrics/Painless Injection

Dear Doctor,

I have been told by my colleagues about painless injections and recently my kid was given a painless injection. I was surprised to observe that my kid did not even cry during the injection. why is this and could you explain why they do not cry during these injections

Hi Vimal,

The term "painless injection" is often misunderstood.

This term is usually used in relation to DTP (also called DPT) vaccine. Conventional DTP (whole cell DTP: DTwP vaccine) causes significant pain and fever in most babies. With advances in Genetic engineering and molecular biology, scientists could remove the component in this vaccine which was responsible for fever without much affecting the components that are required for benefit of vaccination. This is "acellular" DTP (also termed as DTaP) It is this DTaP which is sometimes referred to as "Gentle DTP" or "painless DPT".

Thus, with painless DPT, what is meant is the pain that occurs minutes to hours after vaccination, and NOT the pain of needle prick. Pain of prick is SAME even with so called "painless injection".

Now, why didn't your child cry during the injection? It could be because of combination of factors:

High EQ of your child: pain "threshold"  varies from person to person and some humans are constitutionally/ genetically more calm than others.

If your child is an infant: Perception of pain wold vary too much with "state of wakefulness"  of the baby. For example, it would be more when baby is hungry/ already agitated; less if otherwise satisfied (in  "quiet awake state" or in deep sleep)

It would also vary with the way the doctor administer the injection and quality of needle used.

Hence, it is combination of good luck and good doctor that your child didn't cry!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.