Pediatrics/Smell Issues

Question
Hello,

My name is Shane Carman.  I am eighteen and attend college in Florida.  In my entire life, I do not believe I have been able to smell.  When other people say they smell something, I just feel air in my nose.  Most food tastes the same for me, either sweet, salty, or sour.  I have never really had friends in my life, although I am very active in my community. I never seem to form relationships with people on a personal level.  I did have meningitis when I was 13 days old and have heard this can cause a loss of smell.  I was also diagnosed with Hyper Sensitive Hearing and tourettes syndrome when I was about 7.  I believe these two conditions have had a significant impact on my life but have never really explored the impact of not being able to smell.  Is there a way to truly test if I can smell and if I cannot, a way so I can smell?  I feel like this could be the reason behind many issues in my life.

Thank you!

Shane

Answer
Hi Shane,

There is no "lab test" available routinely to quantify objectively how strong or weak is your sense of smell. The only way that we doctors test the ability to smell is to place some strong odours near a nostril, while keeping the other nostril and both eyes closed. The other nostril is then tested in similar fashion.

Meningitis can RARELY affect the sense of smell, in case the olfactory nerves (nerves that carry sens of small) or area in the brain that is involved with "interpretation" of the smell is damaged because of the infection.

I don't think that "Hyper Sensitive Hearing and tourettes" syndrome have much to do about the ability to smell.

I must tell you frankly that inability of smell  per se doesn't affect quality of life in a big way. However, your being "too conscious" about your inability to smell: i.e., your insecurities related to the whole issue CAN affect quality of life in a bigger way.

Try to work on that, try to live "bindaas" (Indian term for being carefree) to have a wonderful life ahead!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar