Pediatrics/all three vaccination

Question
QUESTION: hello dr.puneet

my daughter is presently 35days
want to get her vaccinated for all vaccine

my ped told me as per new recommendations at 6weeks need pentaxim prevenar and hepatitis B and rotarix drops d..
so wanted to knw is it advisable to give three shots at a time.
or can v wait fr 2weeks fr prevenar do tht she get only 2shots at a time

but then again at 10 weeks she has to get 2shots..
is it ok she gets in this way as only 2weeks gap between vaccines but she maintain 4weeks gap with each vaccine .or can u plz suggest a better schedule
her date of birth is 10 October 2013

ANSWER: Hi Shaheena,

It is OK to take 3 shots on same visit. And remember, it is only at 6 weeks that 3 shots would be given. At 10 weeks and 14 weeks, only Pentaxim and Prevenar 13 would be given. First dose of hepatitis vaccine must have been given soon after birth (along with BCG and OPV). Third dose is given 5 months after 2nd dose of Hepatitis B, i.e., around 6-6.5 months of age.

If still you don't wish three shots on a day: the alternative is to go for Hepatitis B vaccine today/ tomorrow (it can be given even at 4 weeks of age) and Pentaxim and Prevenar at 1.5 months of age as scheduled. There is no problem even this way.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: thanx a lot doctor for prompt reply

I guess if its on one visit then it's fine..n I guess there will b no fever..n pain in next few days.
but usually they giv in thigh so two vaccine will b given at the same thigh ??or different site in same thigh??or mixed n given ..

Answer
Hi Shaheena,

No, the vaccines CANNOT be mixed together.

Two vaccines can be given on the same thigh, while maintaining a distance of 5 cm between the two injections.

PLEASE NOTE: As per latest recommendations (came in only TODAY: 20th Nov 2013): gap of one inch (2.5 cm) between 2 injections on the thigh is OK.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar