Pediatrics/My 13 month old is vomiting

Hi dr. Olsen,

My 13 month old is vomiting and I'm worried. This has never happened before. She first threw up milky vomit but after about an hour she has been vomiting greenish/yellow bile in very small amounts. No fever or diarrhea.
What could this mean and what should I do to treat this at home? Should I take her yo the er?

Hi, Zainbab,

Vomiting without diarrhea is more worrisome to us, for diarrhea makes us think a lot more about a stomach virus.  I would use some clear liquids for the next few feeds and if the vomiting doesn't abate in a day or two, see your doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.