Pediatrics/Child not gaining weight

Question
QUESTION: Hello doctor
My daughter is 9 months old and weighs 7.4 kg.she is a very fussy eater.
She eats 4 tsp of wheat sheera in morning followed by 4oz milk. For lunch she eats half chapati and curd followed by a fruit juice max 2 oz.evening veg soup or stewed fruit puree and dinner again chapati followed by milk.
I have following queries
1.how much should a 9 month old eat...quantity and what all should be included in a days diet
2. How much milk along-with solids should be given. Is formula better than buffalo milk. I am giving buffalo milk as i have heard it contains good amount of fat...but not sure whether it takes care of other nutrients like formula milk do
3. Can i give coconut oil to my baby to increase fat contents...if so how much
4.can nuts be given in powder form and how much

ANSWER: 1.how much should a 9 month old eat...quantity and what all should be included in a days diet
==== YOU MAY FIND SOME DETAILS at www.infantfeeding.blogspot.com At 9 months, quantity is around 800 ml a day all inclusive; cut down on milk, start increasing day to day diet items..start with mashed fruits, mashed boiled potatoes, bananas, upma, khichri, soups , kheers

2. How much milk along-with solids should be given.
==== start replacing milk by water. only intermittent breast feed with soilds is ok. anomal milk is not needed.

Is formula better than buffalo milk.
=== yes.

I am giving buffalo milk as i have heard it contains good amount of fat...but not sure whether it takes care of other nutrients like formula milk do
=== it will do more harm. so avoid animal milk.

=== not needed. if the weight were 5 kg, may be i would have added. you may use it for skin though.

4.can nuts be given in powder form and how much==
----- no. less likely to be digested. more of constipation and cramps. encourage rice/rsgi based cereals in first year of life.

QUESTION: Hello doc
1.are nuts not digested generally at 9 months.what age they should be given and in what quantity...e.g.almonds
2.my daughter passes grey liquid stool after consuming 2 almonds
3.generally also i have seen her stool which is shiny...in her stool report fat elements were absent though but undigested particles were present...how do i improve her digestion
4.my daughters appetite is very less...how to improve that
5.are there any side effects of coconut oil...how much can be given
6.is coconut milk good and can it be substitued with oil

Answer
---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------QUESTION:
Hello doc1.are nuts not digested generally at 9 months.
----- yes. In addition to this they can cause indigestion allergy or get accidentally stuck in throat
what age they should be given and in what quantity...e.g.almonds
--- after age 2-3 year and not more than 2 in a day. Also preferably as crushed ones and not with milk.
--- yes.. its indigestion ar times.

3.generally also i have seen her stool which is shiny...in her stool report fat elements were absent though but undigested particles were present
----- yes its indigestion

...how do i improve her digestion
---- soft rice based cereal diet.

------ if weight gain is good.. its unlikely that appetite is lost.

.are there any side effects of coconut oil...how much can be given
---- one sppon a day can be safe.

----- yes.

Pediatrics

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician