Pediatrics/Cough and cold

Question
My 4 year daughter frequently getting cough.
One week we have given dilosyn still cough was not complte . so doctor told to give azlide -antibiotic for 5 days  and she was recovered. immediatley after the antibiotic she got thraot infection . So doctor prescribed amoxillion syrup and course was over . after 3 adys still she is getting cough that too not frequent ,and it is not dry cough .

please advise which cough syrup is best in such case and taking antibiotics frequent for 4 yaers old child has side effects rite ?

Answer
Hi, Sonia,

Generally kids with a cough do not need antibiotics.  A throat infection is only treated in our office if you have a strep test that is positive.  If your doctor treated without a strep test, then to me that is less than good medicine.  I suspect she has a lot of exposure to sick kids and gets frequent colds due to this.  We don't, in our pediatric office, recommend cough syrups, for they really don't work and are potentially unsafe.  If this is a frequent cough, then consideration of asthma or allergies might be a good idea.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD