Pediatrics/dpt and hepb donne what about hib?

My child was born on oct 24, 2013. Today he got dpt on one leg and hepetitis b on other. Doctor told to come for hib on 20th. He said ten day gap is needed as it has also to be done on leg.
is it right? Should he get hib on 20th?
next time if peentavalentis to be used, how the date and dose will be decided?
can pentavalent be used on next ddose instead of three separate injections

Hi Rina,

I am not sure why these vaccines have been used separately.

DPT-Hib-Hep B and DPT-Hib combinations are easily available and can be used.

There is no need to have a "gap" for taking Hib vaccine. Hib vaccine can be taken any day.

The next dose of the vaccines should be taken one month after the date of Hib vaccine.

If your baby had received Hepatitis B vaccine at birth and the present dose was 2nd dose of hepatitis b vaccine, then next dose should be of DPT-Hib combination, followed by 3rd dose (DPT-Hib)after one month. 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine should be taken 5 months after 2nd dose of Hep B.

If your baby had NOT received Hepatitis B vaccine at birth and the present dose was 1st dose of Hepatitis b vaccine, then next dose should be of DPT-Hib-Hepatitis B combination, followed by 3rd dose (DPT-Hib)after one month. 3rd dose of Heatitis B vaccine should be taken 5 months after 2nd dose of Hep B.

In addition, baby should also be given IPV, Pneumococcal (PCV) vaccine and Rotavirus vaccines along with DPT-Hib

You can see the latest immunization chart, as ecommended by the Indian Acxademy of Pediatrics on third page of following link:

Best wishes,

Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.