Pediatrics/HPV Preventive

Hi can you tell me your thoughts on the HPV preventive vaccine (the name escapes me) that has been out and recommended in recent years for girls? my ped who retired this year, was pretty adiment that I consider it for my daughter who is 11.  I just cant seem to make a decision on what to do about it. I was also told that studies showed it to be more effective getting it younger rather than waiting to later in teen years. thanks

Hi, Lori,

Your pediatrician shares my thoughts exactly.  This is one of the only two vaccines out there that radically decrease the risk of cancer (the second is the Hep B vaccine).  I recommend it strongly and my two daughters received it.  It is more effective given early and no evidence exists that the immunity wanes before it has a chance to do its thing.  I recommend it and earlier the better.

Happy New Year! Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.