Pediatrics/Rash-13 month old

Question
Rash
Rash  

Rash
Rash  
My son who is 13 months old is currently on amoxicillin for a double ear infection. On day three of the antibiotics he broke out in what looked like a heat rash, small little red bumps on his back, arms and legs. He did not scratch at them and he acted perfectly normal. He had a slight temperature of 99.2 degrees. The next morning the rash had faded and by night time it was almost completely gone. It is now day seven of the antibiotics and the rash has broken out again, this time covering his arms, hands, legs, and feet more severely...it is also on his back, butt and stomach, but not as severely as the other places. He had a temperature last  night of 101.5 and was given a dose of Tylenol at bedtime. The rash appeared this morning and has not changed. I can not make an appointment for him to see his pediatrician until the a.m. he is acting normal and is not itching himself. I don't believe he is allergic to the amoxicillin, but could this be roseola or a viral rash??

Answer
Hi, Kylie,

There are two types of amoxicillin rashes.  One is an allergic reaction, hives that occur in the first 24-48 hours of starting the med and an idiosyncratic, non-allergic reaction that usually happens 5-7 days after starting.  The whole situation is complicated by viral rashes.  My guess is that the initial rash was a viral one and the second one is an idiosyncratic reaction, not necessarily meaning he never can have amoxicillin again.  Your doctor needs to make that decision. Both types are self limiting and don't need to be treated.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD