Pediatrics/rectal tear in baby not healing

Question
Hello dr,
I have been following up with you on my babies condition. She is 3 months now. Its been a month now and she has been passing green stools with streaks of blood. The dr found a rectal tear on her bottom and says the blood is coming from there and prescribed mupirocin ointment to treat it. I have been using it for 2 weeks now and I see the fissure healing one day but the next day I see it red.
The dr says if it does not heal she may have to see a gastero enterologist. Could it be a serious problem.
Thank you
Swetha

Answer
Hi, swetha,

"Could it be" questions are always tricky, for always, in virtually any case, there can be bad things that can look like common benign conditions.  Your doctor is on the right track.  If this doesn't just heal with time and treatment, then a visit to a peds gastro person to see if the fissure is a reflection of another condition might be in order.

Good luck, dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD