Pediatrics/Reg : Teeth

Dear Sir

My daughter aged 13 months (9.00 kgs ),still now no growth in teeth to her - pls advice the reason for this, ( friends are telling that is due to calcium deficiency ,and now we does not giving  any tonic to her, and before also  our doctor advice only iron tonic ( hemsi )  and osto -polybion just for two months, after one year no tonic to her.
And second thing  walking - she walk slowly   with chair or wall grip and afraid to walk alone without help.( we are not using walker )
Basically she is very active sound come very well - but in take of food also very small in  quantity and she like liquid food much than solid.
While compare  to other babies in her age she is very active but not walking, no growth in teeth and no much improvement in weight while compare to other babies whos regularly intake zincovit & formula food ( we does not use that ) this may be also a reason for delay.

waiting for your reply

Hi Sundar,

There are many causes of delayed teething. Most common cause is "familial": i.e., if parents or other close family members had delayed teething, baby can have the same. Calcium and/ or vitamin D deficiency is also a common cause. Your daughter's pediatrician after examining your daughter can tell if it is suspected in her case: Taking calcium or vitamin D supplement unnecessarily can harm.

It is OK if she is walking with support at 13 months.

Please don't compare with other babies: Every baby is unique!

Breastfeeding is far far better than formula feeds in every sense, including growth and development.

Best wishes,

Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.