Dear Doctor,

First I would like say my thanks for your valuable service over time for our society.

My Baby got the Pentaxim & revac-b at 6th week. After, reading few articles in Indian Pediatric Association, DTwP is better than DTaP. I would like to change Pentaxim to other in second dose. (Few ppl, advising to stick to the same brand in entire course) Is it safe & how about efficacy of vaccine? If safe, Let me know good brand also ?

In the 6th Week, I didn't give shots for Rota & PCV. Shall I give this shots on 10th week ?

Please share some good brands with their rate.Because, my first visit charges me around 2700 with including consultation charges 500. ( But they didn't tell me anything about different types of DTP)

I am excepting your valuable suggestion on this matter.

p.S : Baby born on Oct 9 2013.

Hi Madan,

I wouuld like to clarify that it is only very recently that new guidelines have come up...On 9th November 2013 to be precise. In fact, these new guidelines are not yet published: supposed to be formally published on December 17, 2013 in Indian Pediatrics. IAP (Indian Academy of Pediatrics) has made these guidelines online (called "E-publishing ahead of print") as they are important guidelines. So, please don't feel bad about 6 week vaccination: As per the guidelines till last month: DTP and DTaP were considered equal in effectiveness...

You can (and you PREFERABLY should)switch to DTP from 10th week dose onwards.

Yes, your baby  SHOULD take PCV and Rotavirus vaccines also.

There are many brands that are available for DTP/ Hib combination: Quadrovax/ Comvac 4/ Easy 4 etc. All are equally good. Cost of DTP is much less than DTaP. IPV would have to be given separately, as there is no DTP/ Hib/ IPV combination. Again at least 3 brands are available: Poliovac PFS, Imovax Polio and Polprotec. All are equally good. Your doctor would tell you about the exact charges depending upon the brand that is available there. You can check the MRP of the brand used when you visit your doctor.

Best wishes,

Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.