Pediatrics/13 month old not putting on weight

Hi Dr,

My 13 month old baby only weighs 7.8kg and she has weighed about that for a few months now. She was born small at 2.59kg but she doubled her weight quite fast and caught up to the growth chart reaching the 25th percentile at one stage. Now she has totally fallen off the chart and is below the 0% mark. She is a bit fussy with her solids but is still on 2-3 formula feeds a day of about 200mls. I am concerned about her stool motions as some days she can do upto 5 poos and they range from very soft to harder and more formed. I am worried she may have something wrong with her digestive system or bowels?

Hi, Katherine,

Please have your doctor consider a malabsorption syndrome, a condition where the body doesn't absorb certain nutrients.  I would also have a dietician see her, after you carefully record everything that goes into her mouth for a couple of days.  Kids this age should be gaining weight.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.