Pediatrics/5 year old high fever with headache

My 5 year old daughter was sent home from school yesterday with a headache and fever of 102.9, after a couple doses of motrin or Tylenol, she seemed to be ok. Then she woke up with a headache and a fever of 102.9 this morning. Through out the day she seemed to get better, but after dinner tonight she started complaining of a headache and her fever was back to 102.9. She was sick with a upper respiratory infection about 2 weeks ago. Which she took all her medicine for, she has had no more symptoms. Could she be getting her back molars? or should I be worried about meningitis?? What could be causing the fever to go away and come back like that?

Hi, Heather,

This has nothing to do with molars.  She probably has a viral illness.  If her neck is stiff, if she is getting increasingly obtunded ("out of it"), then see your doctor immediately.  It is common this time of year to see kids in an office that have headache and fever.  Usually these illnesses are self-limited and just go away.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.