Pediatrics/6month old has had a cough for months

Question
HI MY SON HAS HAD A COUGH SINCE XMAS 2012 THAT HAD JUST PASSED AND SINCE THAN I HAVE BEEN TAKING HIM IN TO DOCTORS NON STOP ON AND OFF AND I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO KEEP GOING IN FOR THEM TO CONSTANTLY DIAGNOSE HIM WITH DIFFERENT THINGS WHEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL ME THE FIRST TIME I GO IN. HES BEEN IN ONCE AND ONE DOC SAID HE HAS RSV BUT WAS NOT TESTED HE JUST SAIT TO KEEP HIM HYDRATED. I THAN WENT TO ANOTHER DOCTOR BECAUSE HE WAS NOT GETTING BETTER AND FINALLY THEY TESTED HIM AND THEY SAID HE HAS RSV AND AN EAR INFECTION AND HIS OXYGEN WAS LOW. THE DOC GAVE HIM ANTICBIOTICS FOR EAR INFECTION AND ALBEUTERAL TO TREAT BREATHING AND SINGULAR GRANUALTES. HES BEEN DOIND BETTER SINCE BUT STILL HAS NOT GOTTEN BETTER WITH HIS CRAZY COUGH THAT HE HAS. SO I TOOK HIM IN AS A FOLLOW UP AND DOCTOR TESTED HIS OXYGEN LEVEL AGAIN AND GAVE HIM A TREATMENT IN THE OFFICE AND SAID IF HE DOESNT SEEM TO BE IMPROVING THAT THEY MIGHT DO A CHEST XRAY. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT HE MIGHT HAVE? OR WHAT IS THE REASON FOR CHEST XRAY? IM JUST TIRED OF PAYING MY 30 DOLLAR COPAY EVERYTIME I HAVE TO SEE THE DOC FOR THE SAME THING. THANKS

Answer
Hi, jayia,

I disagree that "doctors should be able to tell me the first time I go in".  A lot of illnesses are unclear in the beginning, especially virus respiratory illnesses.  If he has RSV, this is an illness that may last for weeks and there really isn't any good treatment for it.  The Xray is to determine if there is an underlying pneumonia present, although if he has been treated for the ear infection, the chance of a bacterial caused infection in the lungs is slim.  

If he is not progressively getting worse, just follow things at home.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD