Respected Sir,
         I have got a 3.5 year old grandson who frequently suffers from allergy(Allergic Rhinitis),coupled with fever.I had also similar problem,But one ENT Specialist gave me FLuticasone Nasal Drops which helped me a lot.But Fluticasone is PROBABLY not recommended below 4 years in age.One more  SODIUM CROMOGLYCATE drops/spray in brand names Iffiral/Cromal/Fintal are given,but they are not available in Hyderabad.
         Will you be kind enough to suggest some remedy

Hi Mr Kalyan,

I can't say whether your grandson really needs this without having seen him (Almost every child in this age group suffers from frequent cough and cold, but only a small fraction of kids realy have Allergic Rhinitis who require this treatment)...However, to provide you with scientific information you require, I must tell you that nasal sprays containing Fluticasone propionate (like FLIXONASE, DUONASE, etc.) are not recommended in kids less than 4 years of age. However, those containing Fluticasone Furoate (like FURAMIST-AZ nasal spray by Cipla) can be used in any child > 2 years of age.

Sodium Cromoglycate is hardly used now.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.