Pediatrics/Allergy

Question
"Respected Sir,
         I have got a 3.5 year old grandson who frequently suffers from allergy(Allergic Rhinitis),coupled with fever.I had also similar problem,But one ENT Specialist gave me FLuticasone Nasal Drops which helped me a lot.But Fluticasone is PROBABLY not recommended below 4 years in age.One more  SODIUM CROMOGLYCATE drops/spray in brand names Iffiral/Cromal/Fintal are given,but they are not available in Hyderabad.
         Will you be kind enough to suggest some remedy"

Answer
allergic rhinitis is not an easy diagnosis below 5 years unless parents to suffer from same.
i would like to confirm the sqame by getting further tests before advising any medicines.
the tests are
allergen tests, CBC for esosinophils, xray chest and xray nasopharynx

also i would like to know the time duration and frequency of symptoms.. as charted on breathing diary. You may download such a diary from breathingdiary.com

Common syrups used for treating allergic rhinitis below 5 year age are combinations of montelucast and levocetrizine for few months. Need needs to be assessed before prescription as missing a diagnosis may have its complications.

Pediatrics

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician