Pediatrics/alternative to simethicone?

My baby is really gassy, but simethicone drops don't seem to be making a difference. Are there any alternatives?

Hi, alex,

Gas is either farting or burping.  The simethicone will do nothing for the farting gas, for that is from processes of digestion.  Farting a lot might mean a formula/milk intolerance.  I really don't think that simethicone works that well for anything, but is safe.  The gas you swallow stays in the stomach and is not the same gas you fart out. You may consider a formula change or eliminate milk from your diet if nursing.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.