Pediatrics/alternative to simethicone?

Question
My baby is really gassy, but simethicone drops don't seem to be making a difference. Are there any alternatives?

Answer
Hi, alex,

Gas is either farting or burping.  The simethicone will do nothing for the farting gas, for that is from processes of digestion.  Farting a lot might mean a formula/milk intolerance.  I really don't think that simethicone works that well for anything, but is safe.  The gas you swallow stays in the stomach and is not the same gas you fart out. You may consider a formula change or eliminate milk from your diet if nursing.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD