Pediatrics/Ballanitis in 5month infant.

Question
My 5 month kid is having redish penis head and he cant urinate properly. No fever. Doctor had prescribed some antibiotics and asked to push the foreskin daily. I think these are symptoms of ballanitis . What steps to be taken to cure this and any preventive steps for future.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi, syam,

Balanitis occurs in uncircumcized kids.  Depending on how tight the foreskin is, the advice to pull it back may be good, or may cause more problems.  Generally keeping this area clean, soaks daily in a warm water, will do the trick.  Please be sure that the foreskin is not tight, for pulling this back may cause scarring and the eventual need for a circ.

Good luck, D.r Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD