Pediatrics/blood in the stool

Question
QUESTION: My son is of 4 months old
Last month we found blood in his stool and did routine test
it found numerous pus cells and rbcs and doctor advised cefix 1 ml 3 times, and repeated teat after medication it showed the same numerous rbcs and puss cells
then gave the stool for culture and there was no pathogens after 48 hours of incubation
After a few days we found blood in his stool again and did both routine and culture test
It found pure and heavy growth of E coli
Dr gave co trimoxazole for a week and did routine test
Result.. pus cells 1-2
no rbcs
And after a week again blood and did routine
there is puss cells and rbcs in stool

What does it mean and what will we do?

ANSWER: Presence of blood in stools is often seen in dysentry-
Though there are  many causes of blood in stool.... commonly being dysentry-
Often less than ten days antibiotic course may cause incomplete cure..or else the source of infection may be persistant.
If it is happening despite prolonged therapy, immunity may also be deficient.

QUESTION: Thank you !!!

But Still We are in confusion

As i told you our last report( after giving antibiotics) Pus cell: numerous
RBCs: 1-2

Our pediatrician told us to ignore the result if there is no dysentry or blood in stool

We are not giving any medicine now
Is it o.k?

Answer
If the child has symptoms.. has blood in stools and has a culture positive, it deserves specific therapy. You may ignore 1 to 2 pus cells but when it is numerous... it cannot be ignored..
Read further details of the loose motions at pediatricianonline.in  

Pediatrics

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician