Pediatrics/Bump on nose

Question
Dear Dr. Olson,
I have a lively 11-year-old daughter who does a lot of gymnastic stunts.  Last night she fell onto her nose on the (carpeted) basement floor.  There wasn't any bleeding or bruising.  However, she does have a small bump on the bridge of her nose.  It isn't very large at all, but I can see it when I look at her profile.  She did say that her nose was throbbing off and on today.  Could it possibly be broken?  I would think there would be some indication of brusing if it were.  I'm hoping it could just be swelling of some sort.  
Thank you so much for your help.
Sincerely,
Maria

Answer
Hi, Maria,

Yes, it could be broken.  I would check this over the next couple of days.  If the swelling decreases and the profile side and front looks normal, it probably is just bruised.  If the nose is crooked, then see your doctor for an exam and possible Xray.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD