Pediatrics/constipation

Question
my 1 month daughter is mostly bottle feed as my breastmilk is not adequate 4 her.From last 10 days she has been suffering from constipation.The frquency of the stool is regular but the consistency is like pellet(long in shape).my Dr has adviced 4 a tummy massage & giving luke warm water.m hav tried out it with 30ml water twice a day n d process works also.hw long i shud do it??haven't given any medicine yet.also she passes a lot of flatus but her abdomen is soft.my only concern is i don't her to suffer from chronic constipation.
ned ur advice...thanking u in anticipation

susmita

Answer
If constipation persists some diseases have to  be ruled out. It is  better to get the  baby examined again. Sometimes investigations like abdominal ultrasound and estimation of some hormone level may be needed. It is  difficult to come to any conclusion without clinical examination in this situation.  

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri