Pediatrics/hep b

Question
QUESTION: sr my son is 9 months old. he was given the first shot hep b when he was 6 months old and the other when he was 10 months old.Ideally the final shot was due on 2nd week january(5 months from 2nd shot) but we missed it. its feb 27th today :( what do i do? :(:(

ANSWER: Hi Vishal,

He should be given the third dose as soon as possible.

And you should be more careful of his regular vaccination in future: They are potentially life-changing health care interventions..You have been 6 and 9 months late for 1st and 2nd doses of Hep B vaccinations!! (Ideally, they should have been given at birth and 1 month of age!!)

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Hello sir, as suggested by you, i have given him the third shot of HEP-B on 4-03-2013. There was a typo in my earlier question, and the fact is that he was given the first shot when he was 6 weeks old (not month) and 2nd shot when he was 10 weeks old(not month). so have given the final shot now. he was born on 29-05-2012 so he is 9.5 months now. he is due his measels shot. the local ped here advised not to give the hep b and measels shot on the same day. so just wanted to know as to when can we give him the measels shot.
DOB-29-05-2012
LAST HEP B SHOT-04-03-2013
He is about 9.5 months old. kindly advise if there has to be some gap between the hep b shot and measels shot coz the ped said that both are live virus or something and should have a gap of 4 weeks. i trust you more and hence seek your advice sir. he would complete his 10th month on 29th of this month, please advise when should the measesl shot be given.thanks

Answer
Hi Vishal,

Hepatitis B vaccine is NOT a live vaccine! There is no need to keep a gap of 4 weeks after it. (But measles vaccine is a live vaccine. If measles vaccine is given first, then 1 month gap is necessary). Both Hep B and measles vaccine could also have been given on the same day (but at different sites: opposite thighs).

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar