Pediatrics/influenza vaccine

Question
As per the IAP immunization schedule, influenza vaccine is recommended only for high risk children.

My daughter was born on 09/08/2012, premature at 34 weeks wt-1.48 kgs. Now at 6.5 months she weighs 6.6 kgs. she does not have any conditions falling under the high risk children. (her mother is having diabetes) she is very active and has achieved all milestones. she has been given all the vaccines as per schedule including prevnar and rotarix.

(1) Is it really necessary to give her influenza vaccine?
(2) In case if given based on her doctor's advice, will it have any side effects?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Gururaj,

It is not necessary to give her influenza vaccine. If given, there are no specific side effects just because of her being born preterm.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.kumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar