Pediatrics/oil for infants

Question
Dear Sir

I am from Tamilnadu,Please advice about uses of  Olive oil for infants.....weather it  is  using for improving  body color or Skin softness or any other thing  and now in market there was many oils in different names  so please give details about it, weather we want to use these costly oil for infants hygienic  growth.
Also about baby soaps, creams and powers ( most of  brands from other con tries and they manufacture according to their climatic and skin condition -its price also very high )and benefit  of its usage.
And regarding washing of cloths that used for infants -  we are using  Indian detergent soap with Dettol or weather we want to use products selling in market ( one washing branded soap cost near by Rs 200 )especially for babies.

Like this we are spending much and much  money for babies care without knowing its reason in this manner.

Please give Your advice regarding this.

Answer
Hi Sundar,

Whether it is baby product or anything else, "costlier" may not always be "better"!

Oil massage has no role in skin colour (complexion) and has hardly any role in physical growth.
It helps in "toning" of muscles (kind of passive exercises for the baby) and helps in emotional bonding between mother and baby. You can use ANY oil for the baby (except mustard oil which is often irritant to infant skin). There is nothing specific "baby oil" that is over and above any "general" oil.

Powders (talcum) are scientifically NOT recommended for babies. Their use should be avoided/ minimised as much as possible.

You can use ANY unperfumed mild soap (any baby soap). However, if you ask for "best" for infant skin, they are "soap free" soaps (scientifically called syndets): They are costlier. Many brands are available: Daffy, Teddy Bar, Cetaphil, etc.

Please note that for any skin product (oil/ soap/ cream), one should not change brands frequently. Whatever suits best to the baby should be continued. Any infant can be allergic to even the best product, hence any change must be done cautiously.

One can use any "general" detergent for infant clothes.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar