Pediatrics/Persistent cough in 3 year old

Question
My 3 year old daughter has been coughing since early Nov 2012. she has taken several antibiotics as well as cough medication but it still persist. A chest xray was done in December and it came back clear.

She also coughed the previous year from Oct 2011 to April 2012. At that time, the ped asked for a chest xray and a mantoux test. the mantoux was negative while xray showed pneumonia. she was treated and stopped coughing up until Nov 2012.

I have taken her to a ped who is asking that another xray and mantoux test be done. She also requested for a full blood count and throat mcs.

Should I repeat these test again? What could be the cause of this persistent cough?

Thanks.

Answer
Hi, Ice,

Chronic coughs in kids this age are due to basically four causes:  allergies, infections such as sinusitis, asthma, and acid reflux.  I would ask your doctor if these things have been considered.  A med such as Singulair can be helpful for the asthma/allergy causes and is quite safe.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD