Pediatrics/strange sleeping position of my daughter

Question
Hello doctor,
My daughter is 6 years old but she sleeps in a very odd position which concerns me a lot. She had an eye operation when she was 3 yrs and due to unfavourable circumstances (cancerous particles in her retina) she is having one artificial eye now. we had many visits to the hospital due to which she had lost her self esteem and gets scared whenever we talk of going to doctor. Since then we observed that she sleeps oddly (like a frog) with head down and holds her bended legs quite aggresively and tightly. Earlier we ignored but now she takes so much space on the bed as her legs are spread horizontaly and often she rubs her body with the bed.When she is in sound sleep then we normally straighten her legs but she don't want to change her sleeping position consciously. We are really concerned but we can't even take her to the doctor as she would protest against it. Kindly give us some remedial measures so that we can change her position.

Answer
Hi Mandakini,

Any "effort" made towards this is definitely going to be counter-productive. Completely ignoring (including no discussion about it within family when she is around) is the only solution.

To me, her low self-esteem is of more concern rather than her sleeping position. You MUST consult a child psychologist to help her get out of it and avoid lifelong adverse consequences.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar