Pediatrics/Toddler behaviour

Hi, my daughter is 21mths old. She has a tendency to hit herself in the head when she is cranky or frustrated.

Is this normal toddler behaviour?

Hi, Renee,

At least 20% of all kids will go through a head-banging phase.  This is normal and I would suggest treating it as a temper tantrum and ignore it.  She is smart and will never hit herself hard enough to hurt.  The more attention paid to this, the more it will occur.

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.