Pediatrics/Vaccine

Question
May I know purpose, no of dose, alternate vaccines, price in India (price of alternate vaccine also) for following vaccines:
Rotarix
Synflorix
Polprotec
Easyfour

Answer
Hi Vivek,

For Rotavirus vaccines, two brands are available: ROTATEQ and ROTARIX costing Rs. 960 and 1199 per dose. However, ROTATEQ requires 3 doses at one mon interval; ROTARIX requires only 2 doses (at one month interval). Both are equally effective and you can go for any of these. Both these vaccines are Oral.

For PCV vaccines, again there are two brands, PREVENAR 13 and SYNFLORIX. PREVENAR 13 costs Rs. 3801 per dose while the other costs Rs. 1999 per dose. Three doses are recommended for both of these followed by a booster at 12-15 months of age for each of these. However, please note that unlike rotavirus vaccines, these brands are not equally effective. Prevenar 13 is at least 3-5% more effective than Synflorix, as it protects against 13 types of the bacteria, while Synflorix covers 10 types.

Please note that for Rotavirus and PCV, you can choose any brand. however, once you choose, you have to continue with same brand for rest of the dose, as these are not interchangeable.

EASY FOUR is a combination of DTwP and HiB and costs about Rs. 525. Many alternative brands are available, all in price range of Rs. 400-550. All are equally effective. POLIOPROTEC is a brand of IPV, costing about Rs. 400. Other brands are IMOVAX POLIO and POLIOVAC PFS, all cost the same and are equally effective.

One can go for DTaP instead of DTwP, which causes less pain/ fever, but is equally effective. However, DTaP is much costlier. PENTAXIM is the only brand that is a combination of DTAP, Hib and IPV and costs Rs. 1893 per dose.

Also note that in addition to the cost of vaccines as I have mentioned above, the pediatrician would also charge his consultation fee and vaccine/ injection fee, as applicable.

For no. of doses, you can see the latest immunization schedule, as recommended officially by Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) at: http://iapcoi.com/hp/pdf/IAP%20Immunization%20Timetable%202012.pdf

The "purpose" of each vaccine can also be seen at www.iapcoi.com, the official site of IAP and accreditted by WHO for authentic info on vaccines.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar