Pediatrics/18-month-old daughter doesnt chew

QUESTION: Hello Dr. Kondekar
My daughter is 18-month-old and she still doesnt chew her food. she tries to swallow almost everything except cadbury dairy milk (chocolate). When she was around 9 or 10 months old she was a little underweight so we delayed giving her finger foods as she would end up puking when we tried to give her some. Now that she is 18 months old i still have to spoon mash her food and only then she would eat (swallow). If i try to give her anything solid eg, chapati she would keep it in her mouth for around 5-10 min and then spit it out. Even if its a piece of bread she would straight away spit it out. Her current weight is 10 kg and height is 82 cm. other than that she seems to be very active, she started walking before she was 1 yr old. Her speech doesnt seem to be a problem because she tries to say (pronounce) anything and everything that we ask her to. she has got 11 teeth so far out of which 3 molars just showed up.

she just needs chewing "games"
hold a piece of roti in your mouth when you offer her the same and tell to mimick when you chew..
have a competition who can chew faster.. eventually job will be done.
she needs this cos she is never taught chewing this way.make her sit with family and tell her to mimick what others do while having food.
common reason for long time to chew or swallow can be tonsils.

QUESTION: hi, thanks for ur reply. well we have been trying to teach her the same for quite sometime now... i tell her and even show it to her to take her food in the sides of her mouth and then chew it. i even showed her how can she chew with her teeth in the front of her mouth (incisors). however, she doesnt seem to be interested in chewing at all. she straight away spits the food out which is not in a gravy form. and if she swallows it then she will vomit soon after taking it in.

u should teach her as game.. bite game, peek a boo game hiding food inside .. below tongue around cheeks.. she shouldnot feel it like some work..

despite all if the protrusion reflex is there, you may need to make it semisolids for some more time and also get evaluated for throat infections/tonsils

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician

also click here for what to ask a doctor?. download Question answer android app on child health from . Free advice also on topics like asthma epilepsy tuberculosis in children. I am a proud father and a qualified pediatrician with an expertise and interest in counseling parents regarding different aspects of health and disease making them understand children, their health and disease and the doctors.Download android app to ask free questions from Read my reviews/ratings at REVIEWS I do treat and counsel all classes and specialties, I have a special expertise and interest in queries regarding feeding of infants and; the common cold & related illnesses including asthma. I as a friendly doctor, try to help you understand the children, the disease, the treatment and the doctor! At the end, dont forget to add prestige points and nominations for me, as that is the only incentive for me to continue with free service. Affiliated to Seth G S Medical college and KEM Hospital Mumbai India (1992 till 2010). Now at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. *Online Pediatrician * KEY WORDS: ASTHMA EPILEPSY REPEATED RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS TUBERCULOSIS INFANT FEEDING HEART DISEASES ADHD AUTISM ADD SECOND OPINIONS PAID ANSWERS

I was a pediatrician at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Mumbai India, since 1999 till 2010. Currently as a pediatrician and as a associate professor at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. Pioneered as Online Indian Pediatrician for free advice SINCE 2002. Now also at Shushrusha Hospital Dadar,Mumbai INDIA daily 7 to 9 PM. Child Specialist dr Kondekar

Promote Your Page Too

Visit for more details of organisation.(since 1992 till 2010)

Publications best is to do a google search for "Dr S kondekar"

I am MD DNB in pediatrics and a fellow of College of Physicians and surgeons of Mumbai, and fellow of foundation for advancement of medical education and research GSMC. Currently also as a consultant in child health specialist pediatrician in Mumbai India at Shushrusha Hospital Walk in clinic Daily 7 to 9 pm Dadar West.

do visit my BlogSite

A lot number of simple people and medicos who consult Dr SK daily for their problems. Around 4000 plus client on this site alone.