Pediatrics/4 year old vomiting every 2-3 weeks

I will try to be as brief as I can without leaving anything out. My 4 year old daughter has been vomiting, only at night, and only every 2-3 weeks for the past 4 months. I haven't been able to determine any common denominator in her episodes (i.e. something she ate, environment, etc.)

She is completely well otherwise, gaining weight, plays, very smart. She doesn't complain of ANY ailments or pain otherwise. She will go to bed and wake up during the night or early morning and vomit. Sometimes only once during an episode, sometimes a few times over the span of an hour or two. Sometimes it's food, other times it's just liquid. She seems to be either nauseous or have abdominal pain immediately before hand. After vomiting 1-3 times she feels better & sleeps the rest of the night/morning fine. She always wakes up the next day feeling just fine and happy. She is completely fine for a few weeks and then it happens again. It has not ever happened during the day.

I have read about Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, which seems like it is always severe vomiting. My childs vomiting is not severe at all, although very unpleasant.

We had a brain MRI with and without contrast that came back normal.
We also tried reflux medicine for 1 week. She does not have symptoms of Reflux.

Any insight? Our medical bills are piling up.

Thank you so much for your time.

Hi, Jeanna,

I would wonder about this being a migraine variant, especially if migraines run in your family.  I would also recommend keeping a good diary of food, activity and other things to see if you can find a common thread.  It is very difficult for us to figure out intermittent symptoms like these.  Discuss this with your doctor and see what he/she has to say.

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.