Pediatrics/constant crying

Question
hello dr.kumar          my daughter is 5weeks old . She sleeps most of  the day and wakes  up in the night. For the past 3 days she cries for 3-4 hour in the night.i gave her cyclopam drops as my dr recommanded. But it doesn't work .what  can i do to comfort her and stop her crying (acutully she yells loudly).can i give her woodwards gripe water .does  it contain alcohol?  please advise me.

Answer
Hi Bhuvana,

Babies in first 1-2 months have "reverse sleep cycle": That is they spleep more during the day and are awake (and awake means crying for feed, crying to be held, etc.) at night (usually from 11pm to 5 am). Since this is normal phenomenon, no medication would work: Stop all medicines. Just take care that the room is maintained dark at night (except bed lamp/ "zero watt" bulb): so that baby is visible to you but is dark for the baby...and is well lit after sunrise (even if baby is sleeping)...that way, baby understands about "day" and night" earlier and starts sleeping at night.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar