My 6 year old son has had head to toe hives for 7 weeks now, i was originally told it was a virus snd would go away in 4-6 weeks but its now 7 weeks. He has absolutely not complaints at all and it healthy otherwise. He had some slightly elevated blood levels but from what ive read are just a reaction to inflammation or infection:
Crp, platletts, segs, lymphs, neutrophils
Thyroid, wbc, rbc all normal
ive tried everything and hes now on zantac, claritin  and xyzal which has helped but i want to know what is causing it!!!! Also it seems as time goes on they get worse not better. Had him allergy tested for top 10 most common allergies and it was negative.
Before this he had never been sick, never been on atbs. he did start kindergarten this year and a few other kids at the school also had hives but theirs went away within a few weeks. no fever
I tried the eliminiation diet, i tried all of the natural/homeopathic stuff, etc
Witch hazel also works great when applied topically
This sll started from a fever with no other symptoms in which he was getting childrens motrin for, that lasted 3 days and then once fever stopped the hives came.
please help

Hi Trisha,

Yes, he has typical hives (urticaria) and there are several causes of it, the most common being allergy...and there are hundreds of allergens in our environment, and negative test for "top ten" allergens doesn't mean there is no allergy. Nobody can point out the "reason" just by examination.

Collagen vascular disorders are another group of disorders that can cause urticarial rashes. However, these are less common...

In tropical countries, even worm infestation can cause these rashes. This is rare in West.

My sincere advice in such cases is to remain in touch with your primary pediatrician, rather than  shifting to other doctors/ other systems of medicine/ self medication by searching on the net. All this rather complicates the course and makes clinical assessment of patient even more difficult.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.