Pediatrics/Leg pain/fever

My nephew has recently been sick with the flu, yet along with a runny nose, sneezing, and a high fever, he has told me that his legs were weak. In fact his legs were too weak even for him to get out of bed. Should I really be worried about this? Can this be more than just weakness from the flu? He actually has had this other times that he had been sick. I am wondering if he should seek medical attention. I hope to hear from you soon as I am a really concerned aunt.

Thank you,

Hi, Stephany,

It is common for kids with viral illnesses to have intense myalgias, or sore muscles.  I would feel more comfortable since he has had this before with viral illnesses.  I would suggest that his parents discuss this with the doctor the next time he comes in for a yearly exam.  If the legs are truly too weak and not just sore, to get out of bed, this is unusual and perhaps if he is not better in a day or two, then see his doctor.

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.