Pediatrics/Low HB - 8 Year old girl

Daughter - CBC
Daughter - CBC  
Hi Doctor,

This is regading my daughter who is 8 year old and weighs 40 kg. She is not a pciky eater and i have no problems with her eating habits. But on a recent visit to our doctor, because she was having a small amount of itching after using a particular bathe soap, he did a CBC to rule out any infection. Her CBC is attached for your reference. He said her HB is low and gave her an iron tonic for 1 month and asked to come back for a re-test.

I am wondering how her HB could have gone low when she is eating properly. Am i not giving her the right food then? She eats rice, fish curry, sambhar, curd etc. Do you see anything suspicious in her CBC? We are going for a retest on 11th Apr. But please provide your valuable advice to put my mind at ease (her MCV is normal)

Hi Jaya,

Yes, she doesn't seem to be picky eater, as she is already overweight (by at least 8 kgs, as normal weight range at 8 years is 16-32 kg). That indicates that she may not be having a well balanced diet. Please be more careful of her diet and physical activity.

She does have anemia that needs to be treated. Please follow instructions of your doctor diligently.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.