Pediatrics/refusing breast milk

Question
QUESTION: Dear Doctor,
My daughter is 4 month old. She takes milk only when she is fallen asleep. The doctor gave medication for ear infection. She has completed the course. Again the result is negative. Is she is having any other problem. Any infection in stomach? She is passing greenish yellow stool.

ANSWER: Hi Dinsha,

Green coloured stools are normal in a 4 month old baby, especially if baby is looking wel otherwise.

Baby should be fed whenever baby is hungry and NOT in sleep. If you still have problems, please discuss about feeding technique with your pediatrician.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

QUESTION: Dear Doctor,
My daughter is 16months old. Her weight is 8kg. She likes only breastmilk and refuses to eat other solid foods. During night time she wokes 4 to 5 times to have milk. How to make interest in other foods or I should stop breastmilk?

Answer
Hi Dinsha,

I hope you started introducing solid foods at 6 months of age, since that is the best time to start. It is more difficult to start solids once baby is older and is habituated to take only milk.

You should not stop breastfeeding, but always try to give solids whenever baby is hungry. Give mashed, soft diet first and gradually move towards more solid diet. Whatever you give has to be rich in fat (i.e., it should have extra oil/ ghee/ butter) so that baby gets lots of calories even with intake of small amount of food. You  would need lot of patience and consistent efforts to achieve this.

In case you are unable to succeed, please try to consult an occupational therapist who can help further in such cases.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar