Pediatrics/4 year old vomiting

Question
Good Evening

My 4 year old daughter has had 2 incidents of vomiting in the past week. One occurred in the middle of the night and the second occurred first thing in the morning. She vomits everything she consumed the night before and continues vomiting every 15 to 30 minutes for several hours. She complains of leg pain during the incidents. The only connection I can make between them is that she had a significant amount of candy 6-8 hours before(due to the Easter holiday)My husband thinks it was just to many sweets. Is it possible to have such a violent reaction to sugar that many hours after eating it?  

NOTE** I initially considered a stomach virus however there is no fever, no diarrhea, and none of the other 3 children became sick.

Answer
Hi, Mom,

Hard to say what this is and I agree that a viral illness is less likely considering what you have told me.  If these are just intermittant and she is otherwise well, I could be a type of food sensitivity or it even still could be a virus.  It is hard to think of how too much sugar would cause this, or we would have a nation of puking kids after Easter!  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD