Pediatrics/Calcium syrup for babies

Hi Doc, My son is 4 months old now, for the 1st 3mnths I'v given him A-Z vit drops. Now my pediatrician has suggested me to give Macalvit Calcium syrup for the next 5 years! My mum is totally against this coz as per her, breast milk provides more than enough calcium for babies. I breast feed him every hour (coz he drinks for jus 10mins). I'v stopped giving calcium syrup as of now. Need clarification on this just to relieve my tension and confusion. Thanks

I do not know the circumstances under which your doctor prescribed it. Usually there is not need to give calcium syrup for such a long time. Breast milk is a good source of easily digested calcium. It takes care of all nutritional requirements. Premature babies need calcium supplements for some time.  

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and