Pediatrics/Diarrhea - 5 months old

Question
Dear Sir,

Our five month old baby is having symptoms of diarrhea from Tuesday this week. He is on ORS, Enuf 10 and Septran (pediatric dose). Enuf 10 thrice a day, ORS few times a day and Septran twice a day. He feeds well (only breastfed), takes ORS, Enuf 10 and water diluted Septran well. No fever. Frequency of stool is around 8 times a day. First time in the day quantity is regular and watery. Then it is all very small quantities (less than 2 teaspoons) of yellow normal looking stool. No bad smell even on very close inspection. He looks active and plays normal. He probably has lost very little weight (he weighs around 7 Kgs). Today we added 0.5ml (10mg) zinc supplement.

He seems well hydrated, regular tears when he cries, urine frequency normal, drools a lot.

We are concerned if this is normal and how long it can last.

Thanks
Sridhar

Answer
Diarrhea  can occasionally take more than a week to subside. If the  baby is well  hydrated and active there is no need to worry. Continue to give more fluids If there is no improvement after several  days of treatment please consult your doctor again. It may be necessary to examine the stool.  

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri