Pediatrics/fever for ten days in 3yr old

Hi my son is 3yrs old days back he develiped flu like symptoms with runny nose and fever sround100.5f I gave him ibuprofen and he seemed to be improving but on the 7 th day he again developed fever with vomitting.fever only comes down when I give him paracetamol or ibuprofen. He his active but his diet has decreased and becomes a little down whenever the fever rises he still has ruuny nose as well. A few of my family members also develiped flu and fever but they all seem to be improving but I sm very worried about my son as to why his fever is not settling is it something alarming or viral fever colhd b prolonged .pls find time to answer my question. I wolud be really greatful.thank you.

Hi, atika,

I always find time to answer questions!

This is either another illness that has unfortunately hit her or a complication of the first illness.  I would wonder in this scenario about a secondary bacterial infection like an ear or chest infection.  Only your doctor can tell you what is going on here.  Probably a good idea to have him checked out by your doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.