Pediatrics/infant suffering from recurrent git and uti infection

good afternoon sir, i am anuj kumar resident of daughter is about 5.5 months old,6.1 kg weighing now.starting from this january 2013 she has this problem of loose stool,greenish/brown colour and a little cry while i went to a pediatrician here and he gave her walamycin ds and enterogermina soln.after that she was relieved a lil but around march 17 she had this episode again and this time doctor gave zocin-or and enterogemina for 3 days but the problem we changed the doctor and now this pediatrician went for stool and urine culture which showed klebsiella bacteria in urine and pus cell(20-25 in urine and 4-5 in stools) and according to sensitivity he choosed levofloxacin and cefixime -ds this time which we are giving for last 4 days along with zinc soln and laktrum powder.but still she passes a lil stool with urniation .so we are very much worried . what should be done at this point of time sir? kindly give us your valuable suggestion. thanks a lot .

Hi Anuj,

A 5.5 month old can NORMALLY have such stools and does'nt require much treatment (other than zinc and probiotic, may be). I won't rely much on the lab reports if the baby is otherwise well (not looking sick), feeding well and gaining weight.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India,

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.