Pediatrics/infant suffering from recurrent git and uti infection

Question
good afternoon sir, i am anuj kumar resident of faridabad.my daughter is about 5.5 months old,6.1 kg weighing now.starting from this january 2013 she has this problem of loose stool,greenish/brown colour and a little cry while urinating.so i went to a pediatrician here and he gave her walamycin ds and enterogermina soln.after that she was relieved a lil but around march 17 she had this episode again and this time doctor gave zocin-or and enterogemina for 3 days but the problem persisted.so we changed the doctor and now this pediatrician went for stool and urine culture which showed klebsiella bacteria in urine and pus cell(20-25 in urine and 4-5 in stools) and according to sensitivity he choosed levofloxacin and cefixime -ds this time which we are giving for last 4 days along with zinc soln and laktrum powder.but still she passes a lil stool with urniation .so we are very much worried . what should be done at this point of time sir? kindly give us your valuable suggestion. thanks a lot .

Answer
Hi Anuj,

A 5.5 month old can NORMALLY have such stools and does'nt require much treatment (other than zinc and probiotic, may be). I won't rely much on the lab reports if the baby is otherwise well (not looking sick), feeding well and gaining weight.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India,

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar