Pediatrics/Messy Baby, not sleeping at night

Question
My 7 month old baby boy is not sleeping at night. He is active without any temperature. Having little cough and urinating more frequently. He is sleeping a bit upon nursing but later on waking up. We are feeding the cerelac rice stage 1. Can you please let me know if any of these symptoms matches to the prolbem.

Thank you,

Very much.

Answer
Hi Chiranjeevi,

I don't see any problem here...

It is better to give home cooked food rather than Cerelac. Following write-up would help you in this regard:

Following are the general guidelines on infant feeding in addition to milk (complementary feeding):

1. There is no doubt that breast milk is the best for a baby and one should not switch to any other milk. Complementary feeding is started, while continuing breastfeeding as before.

For preparing cereals like suji-kheer etc, you can use small amount of toned milk. However, make sure that the final consistency is paste-like and not liquid (see below for details).

2. Whatever is given has to be semi solid (thick paste consistency), rich in fat (ghee/ oil) and very little added sugar and salt and almost no spices. The idea is to give condensed food: small in volume (as baby's stomach capacity is small) but high in calories (since baby has to grow fast). Liquids like daal paani, fruit juices, soups etc. fill baby's stomach easily but do not provide enough calories. Instead, baby should be given thick dal (with added ghee/butter), mashed fruits and vegetable puree.

3.Commercial infant formulae like “Cerelac” provide only one advantage: that they are easy and quick to prepare. They are ideal when baby suddenly demands food or during travel etc. Otherwise home-cooked food is much better: it has no preservatives, and baby does not need transition from "infant food" to home food at a later age and is used to all that you eat from a very early age. Still, if one wishes to use infant formula, it comes in various stages, as you know: stage-1, 2, 3 and 4. You have to stat from stage-1 and gradually move to stage 4 over several months. In stage 1, usually there are 2 variants: Rice and Wheat-Apple. One needs to start from Rice and then move to Wheat-Apple.

4. The food items which are usually started are: Moong-dhuli Dal with added ghee (NOT daal paani), Moong-dhuli daal  and rice gruel (khichri) with added ghee, suji-halwa (sweet or saline) rich in ghee, mashed banana, other fruits in mashed form (mango, papaya, melon, water-melon: practically any fruit without seeds in mashed form (NOT juices). After a few days, roti( mashed) can also be started. Move to paratha in next few days. add vegetables in paratha/ rice gruel/ suji. Jaggery (Gur) can often be used in place of sugar, as it is rich in iron.

5. Amount and mode of administration: Breast feeding is continued as before. In between two feeds, small amount (1/2 to 1 spoon only) of above food items are offered. gradually amount is increased as the baby's acceptance improves. As baby's solid diet increases, the interval between breast feeds automatically increases.

6. All babies require iron supplement from 6 months to 12 months of age. Please consult your doctor regarding the brand and dose according to weight.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar