Hi, I noticed my almost 4 year old has ridges that go vertically down all her fingernails. They are not colored or white, and you do need to look at it in very good light to see. Her middle and ring fingers on both hands seem more prominent than rest. Should I be concerned?

Thank you

Hi, Clint,

One really needs to see nails in the flesh to try to figure out what is going on.  I have seen a condition called median nail dystrophy in a few kids, although they do not have as prominent finding usually as adults do.  Why this happens is unknown.  Generally a nutritional deficit doesn't cause nail findings in kids in the USA who have reasonable diets.  Most of the time ridges are a normal variation.

I would suggest at the 4 year PE to have your pediatrician take a look.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.